Butternut Squash Soup, with ginger and carrots
Put oil in stockpot, with heat on low and add pepper.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large (or 2 smaller) Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp brown sugar, honey, palm sugar, or agave nectar.
- 5c chicken or vegetable broth
- [optional] minced parsley to garnish and serve
While oil is warming, prepare onions and garlic.
After a couple of minutes, turn heat up, and start to saute onion.
When they start to soften, add garlic.
When onions start to clear, add ginger and cinnamon stick.
When onions have cleared, and are soft, add carrots, and continue
to saute for another 5 minutes or so. (Carrots take longer to cook than squash).
Add squash, and sugar, continue to saute until squash is well coated with
spiced oil, and is heated.
Add stock and simmer for about 30 minutes, then discard cinnamon stick.
Puree with immersion blender, season with salt to taste, and serve with a topping of minced fresh parsley.